The Best, the Only, and the Unexpected: Hammacher Schemmer, part of The Bradford Hammacher Group family of brands, is a world leader in direct to consumer product marketing. Established in 1848, Hammacher Schlemmer markets a wide array of innovative problem-solving items, unique gifts, and quality merchandise to our customers. Renowned as an innovator, we introduced numerous products to American consumers that were initially considered novelties but are now commonplace, including the pop-up toaster and the microwave oven. Today, our wide range of products includes electronic devices, luxury apparel, home décor, travel accessories, one-of-a-kind gifts and more. We are a uniquely structured medium-sized company large enough to compete in a global market, yet maintains a small company feel with a business casual environment where everyone is on a first-name basis with our President.
We're currently seeking a Buyer for hardline products who will be responsible for developing concepts and researches the marketplace for products consistent with the company's image and positioning for its catalog, web, and retail channels. Introduces the next generation of amazing, unusual, one-of-a-kind and "best of its category" items to millions of customers. Negotiates pricing and terms and manages vendor relationships.How you will contribute:
What you will bring and skills that excite us:
- Develop strategies for merchandise mix consistent with HS image and positioning with regards to historic sales and trend analysis, competition and new products available in the marketplace.
- Generate proprietary product development ideas and work closely with product development manager and overseas agents through the development process from inception to manufacturing to delivery.
- Execute new product negotiations, product files and vendor contracts.
- Business maintenance and management: margins, return rates, monitoring competitors, identify new category opportunities, verify factual information about all products, participate in creative reviews, and maintain vendor rapport as well as internal cross-functional team relationships.
- Provide product presentations and copy direction - working closely with creative team.
BHG at a glance:
- Bachelor's degree
- Catalog/internet/retail experience, must have experience in hardline products (outdoor, garden, pets, utility, air and water, heating and cooling etc).
- A strong background in strategic planning, brand management, corporate positioning, domestic and offshore product development
- Previous responsibility for sales, margins and margin percentage growth
- 5+ years of experience managing merchandising-related operating functions
- Exposure to product development and importing
- Domestic and international travel required
- Broad knowledge of many subjects; voracious appetite for learning new things
- Previous luxury goods buying experience a plus
- Well-traveled with an understanding of target market
- Keen visual and creative sense - attention to detail with eclectic interests and tenacity
- Proficiency in Excel and Power Point
- Demonstrate excellent negotiating skills
Hammacher Schlemmer is an Equal Opportunity Employer
- Our scale: Hammacher Schlemmer's corporate headquarters is right outside of Chicago, with our distribution center and customer service teams based near Cincinnati OH. Our flagship store is in New York city, and we have served millions of customers since 1848!
- Compensation and benefits: We offer a competitive compensation plan and great benefits, with some benefits starting from day 1!
- We own the company: BHG is Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP) which allows you to not only derive the benefits of working as an employee at The Bradford Hammacher Group, but also gain the benefits of being an owner.
- Professional Development: There is always room to learn! We offer a Professional Development Program, a Mentor Program, and LinkedIn Learning to our teams as well as additional hands-on training and development. Our teams utilize a continuous performance management and development structure for feedback, no dreaded annual reviews. We meet quarterly to focus on the future!
- Our values: Honesty. Innovation. Respect. Teamwork. Giving back. These are just some of the core values that drive our team members. Our team strives to build a culture of continuous feedback where anyone can share and create our "next big idea," among diverse and inclusive teams.
- Flexibility and wellness: Whether it's offering hybrid environment (onsite/remote) for our corporate staff, to a generous, front-loaded PTO and holiday package to all staff and corporate wellness initiatives like WW, an annual health fair and an onsite gym, we are committed to our team members well-being. New hires start with 16 days of PTO and 8 paid holidays per year.
- Perks and more: We have a Business Casual Work Environment, Health and Dental Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO) Program, Direct Deposit, Credit Union, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program, Employee Referral Bonus Program, 401(k), Profit Sharing, Tuition Reimbursement, Onsite Cafeteria, Onsite Fitness Center, Corporate WW and Toastmaster's memberships, a Peer Recognition Program, Product Discounts and more!