Charter Manufacturing is a fourth-generation family-owned business where our will to grow drives us to do it better. Join the team and become part of our family!Charter Steel at our Cleveland plant has an exciting opportunity for a Buyer II!
This role will develop and implement the best purchasing strategies to ensure the plant has the consumables and commodities to run effectively while working closely with maintenance management teams. The Buyer II will work strategically with the entire purchasing team and with other areas of the business to drive and contribute to the overall purchasing strategies of cost reduction, process improvement, supplier relationship management and category management. This role will seek Continuous Improvement opportunities within the plant and other areas within the purchasing function, leveraging suppliers across the different areas of the business.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Supply Chain or related degree.
- Two plus years' procurement experience.
- Ability to tackle multiple priorities from a variety of internal customers.
- Demonstrated detail orientation in gathering data and overall quality of work.
- Proven analytical skills in looking at multiple data sets and providing solutions.
- Demonstrated negotiating skills for specific line items.
- Ability to conduct precise and detailed verbal and written communications.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, be self-motivated and drive results.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and team skills to quickly develop relationships with peers and internal customers.
- Proficiency with basic features of Microsoft Office software products.
- Three plus years' procurement experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experienced negotiating skills in long term agreements.
- Certified in purchasing management (CPM) or
- Certified in production and inventory management (CPIM), (CPSM) Certified Purchasing and Supply Management.
- Technical knowledge of steel products and processes.
- Process improvement experience.
- Understanding of commercial contract terms and conditions.
- Knowledge of best practice purchasing techniques.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001: 2008 QA system, ISO 14001: 2004, OHSAS 18001: 2007,
- ISO/TS16949: 2009
- Proficiency with advanced features of Microsoft Office software products.
- Evaluate and review requisitions and convert to purchase orders at a competitive cost for the specific area of responsibility.
- Work with vendors both on-site and off-site to maintain proper inventory levels, quality and delivery for purchased items.
- Expedite and assist facilities in the overall purchase of key items to make the process more efficient.
- Pursue cost reductions on a continuing basis.
- Develop sourcing strategy and identify competitive supply sources; prepare RFQ; evaluate responses; document rational for issuing orders; resolve discrepancies with suppliers, Receiving and Accounting.
- Manage a portfolio of indirect spend, develop a category strategy to increase understanding of cost drivers, and identify additional potential suppliers.
- Work with a team on continuous supply chain improvements to leverage spends for all sites.
- Negotiate and maintain contract agreements for strategic commodities.
- Support major projects within the plant and Purchasing Team including working with Business Unit teams to meet strict deadlines.
- Support assigned areas of responsibility for all manufacturing purchasing needs within the assigned plants.
- Monitor plans and KPIs to achieve business objectives and departmental targets.
- Provide accurate, timely, budgetary information, reporting cost movement variation to supported operational team and managers.
- Have an awareness of various market forces which have a significant bearing on relevant negotiations or future purchases.
- Assistance with item master creation.
- Assistance with stores management.
- Work with operations to ensure proper supply/inventory levels are ordered, delivered, and/or maintained for efficient production needs.
- Follow Environmental, Quality and Safety Management System procedures and requirements.
- Ability to meet the essential job requirements, with or without reasonable accommodation, as outlined in the job description.
- Reports to: Purchasing Team Lead
- Working in a fast-paced environment with a wide variety of buys as well as a wide range of internal customer relationships.