Nov 05, 2020
Hoffman Estates, IL, USA
Claire's - A Career that's always in style
About the Role
The primary function of the Buying department is to deliver a commercially focused and balanced product range that meets the customer needs. The Junior Buyer is specifically responsible for partnering with the Buyer and cross functional team to implement and drive the merchandising strategy that meets or exceeds financial goals for their respective department(s). They are responsible for delivering the key financial metrics for the department, such as sales, profit, margin, and markdown.
• Full accountability for business vision to drive the assortment strategy in conjunction with the planner to ensure all financial targets are met and exceeded for assigned area(s) of responsibility
• Understand the strategic objectives of the company and division to build strategies based on historical, competitive and current trend. Ownership of product life cycle from beginning to end.
• Provide analytical, creative, and managerial support to the buyer, partnering in day to day running of the department
• Strong understanding of customer/business needs, analyzing and identifying current market trends that are appropriate for the Claire's/Icing customer
• Build innovation into assortment and take informed risks. Partner with Product Design to develop fun, unique product that will excite the Claire's/Icing customer and drive revenue for the department.
• Expert in customer and global competition for assigned department, understanding other retailers' assortments, pricing and promotional strategies in comparison to Claire's/Icing. Conduct regular competitive shopping and report back findings and any relevant actions
• Negotiate with vendors, both domestic and international, for best price and delivery
• Source new vendors/expand vendor base. Meet with vendors to align on sample development and product opportunities.
• Partner with various cross functional departments including but not limited to Planning, Allocation, Marketing, QA, Product Design Logistics and In Store Presentation to ensure the correct execution of assortment strategy
• Manage and oversee the critical path with the buying, merchandising and quality teams to ensure on time delivery to meet financial goals for season
• Analyze business weekly, monthly, and seasonally, reporting findings and necessary actions to capitalize on opportunity and mitigate risk to Global Buying Team and upper management.
• Own Monthly Product Performance Review (MPPR) process for their assigned category/department, partnering with Planning on hindsights, business analysis, and competition to identify future opportunities and/or mitigate risk. Utilizes open receipts to maintain flexibility and maximize profit.
• Take ownership of training and development of assistant and associate team members, acting as a role model and mentor.
• Create and facilitate an effective teamwork environment by coaching and developing team, sharing a common vision, setting clear objectives, and concise communication.
• 3 years direct retail buying experience
• Strong analytical skills with demonstrated problem solving and critical thinking ability
• Strong organization, presentation, communication, and negotiation skills.
• Strong retail math skills
• Demonstrated effective leadership skills, being able to run business and work autonomously
• Demonstrated collaborative skills and ability to work well within a team
• Sense of urgency with demonstrated success in a fast-paced and deadline-oriented environment
• Flexibility and the ability to prioritize multiple assignments
• Self-motivated with critical attention to detail, deadlines and reporting
• Understanding of current trends and how they apply to the Claire's/Icing customer
• Excellent Microsoft Office skills
• Travel as required
• Bachelor's degree required
Claire's is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.