Cleveland-Cliffs has an immediate opening for an MRO Services Category Buyer in the Purchasing Department that may be located in either West Chester, OH, or Burns Harbor, IN.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and managing suppliers, negotiating pricing and maintaining supply contracts for commodities such as temporary employment services, office supplies, janitorial supplies, appliances, multifunctional devices, onsite medical services and supplies, first aid supplies, small parcel shipping services, and other commodity categories as assigned. This person will interface with Management, Operations, Plant Technicians, and general maintenance personnel as well as peers within the procurement organization.Summary of Responsibilities:
- Provide for effective purchasing and delivery of all items within the commodities assigned, securing the best value for the company. The following considerations are of primary importance:
- Recommend and select suppliers considering quality, delivery, price, future associated cost of ownership
- Expedite and schedule materials necessary to meet plant operating requirements
- Keep abreast of market conditions, particularly trends material availability and price, as well as quality of assigned commodities
- Utilizing the lowest cost transportation of purchased goods
- Negotiate/initiate new blanket orders and changes to existing blanket orders
- Maintain Purchasing Department files as required
- Contract oversite and management including contract renewal and termination notice timing. Understand the contract process and make decisions in a timely manner to allow enough time to gather competitive bids and execute new contracts in a timely manner
- Continuously strive to reduce total cost of procured goods and services. Negotiate favorable pricing, terms, FOB location, warranty limits, and price protection in order to obtain best value for Cliffs
- Recommend adequate and satisfactory sources of supply and evaluate supplier performance. Instruct suppliers through purchase orders, verbal communications or correspondence regarding plant requirements and deliveries of assigned commodities
- Gather, analyze, and track data on supplier performance, pricing, quality, and other areas as needed
- Actively seek and help develop new and existing diversity suppliers. Report supplier diversity status to Supplier Diversity program coordinator as required
- Collaborate with responsible Maintenance and Operating supervision to secure best services, material substitution, and value
- Initiate action to resolve minor and major plant emergency purchases
- Lead and organize meetings with plants and suppliers to alleviate supply issues. Interview supplier representatives and represents Cliffs in supplier/vendor relationships. Arrange for discussions between vendors and engineering, operating or maintenance personnel as required or directed
- Provide information to Purchasing Management and plant personnel as required to effectively purchase assigned commodities. Makes plant and vendor visitations as directed and required to maintain an effective liaison. Keep abreast of market conditions as to availability, price, and quality of assigned commodities
- Review assigned incoming requisitions and determine best buying methods. Initiate aggressive purchasing action required to secure assigned items and commodities. Maintain records, reports, and files for proper control of assigned purchasing activities. Consult with management on problems requiring major considerations
- Update blanket contracts to reflect current prices, terms, and conditions
- Analyze spend data and provide supply chain analysis
- Seek input from management and Legal on contract requirements and purchasing issues in a timely fashion, and take precaution to not commit or award business without necessary approvals
- Follow department policies and procedures, and participate in activities to continuously improve department workflow
- Report on commodity spend as required
- Assist others in the department as directed
- Three to five years procurement experience and a Bachelor's degree. Preferred degrees include: Supply Chain Management, Business Administration with a focus on Procurement, or military equivalent
- Strong negotiation and supply chain analysis skills
- Strong research skills and knowledge of market trends
- Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects at the same time
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written
- High attention to detail
- Must be a strategic thinker
- High standard of Ethics
- Stellar customer service skills
- Occasional domestic travel is required
- CPSM or equivalent certification is a plus.
- Steel Mill or Heavy Industrial/Manufacturing experience is preferred
As a company, we are doing what we can to keep all our employees safe and healthy. It is the current expectation that all Cleveland-Cliffs employees will be vaccinated against COVID-19 as soon as possible. Before accepting an offer of employment you must certify that you are fully vaccinated. Cleveland-Cliffs reserves the right to require proof of vaccination.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-(312) 899-3097 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Do not email your application materials to this email address. Application materials sent to this email address will not be considered.
Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability. We are a drug-free workplace and conduct pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.